Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"...seek first His kingdom..."


I wanted to share a story with you that has truly impacted my life. While we were visiting Mambula Game Lodge. I had the chance to catch up with a couple of the workers. After a couple conversations it was clear one of the workers was after my shoes and he asked that I leave them for him. I didn't find this offensive, but rather quite reflective of our culture. We've been taught to seek so many other things as if they have the power to make us happy, complete or whole inside. But we are so unclear on what happiness really is or God's plan for us. Frankly, I placed the thought of serving God, like my life depended on it, on the back burner was if there is time, or even someone else who can fill the role "I" am called to do. After about 10 min. of talking with this employee I found out that he was going through some life struggles, like all of us are, but he was looking for salvation/solutions in all the wrong places. The bottom of a bottle, smoking, etc. Then he began to tell me he knew it was wrong...he knew that it wasn't what he should be doing, but he didn't have anyone to teach him another way. It was during this moment that I felt the prompting of God within me to share the word (or what little I knew) to him. I was very familiar with the principles of the bible, but didn't know exact scriptures to quote that would be relevant for the situation, so I prayed constantly within for God's direction through the Holy Spirit. Within about 10min. of conversation about the bible and showing him scripture that related to what he was going through, where to find salvation, direction and the love of God...this young man began to shift. You could see it in his face and the way he held himself. It's as if a light bulb went off inside. He understood the ramifications of living a life as he had and what that meant for he and his family. Unfortunately, I had to run cause we were on a really tight scheudle, so I left him with prayer and asked God to show me what I should do next. Before I headed out, I asked when he was getting off work and if he'd be around when I got back. He said no, he'd be off work soon, but he would be in to work the next morning. I knew that our encounter was not by accident. So I jetted off to get ready for the safari and prayed for another opportunity to meet with him.

The next morning..I ran to see if he was there. He was! I was so excited..he had just gotten there and we were due to leave in about 8 min. So I ran over and met him at the bar with a satchel across my shoulder. He embraced me with a big hug and welcomed me as if we were old friends. Everything about him was different. He had a little pep in his step and he embraced every word I said to him as we greeted each other. He also introduced me to his co-worker who I had met the day before briefly. You could tell they had been sharing what he and I talked about the day before and what he was thinking about. I knew I was tight on time so I reached inside the satchel and pulled out a bible (one I had purchased from the coffee bar) and the same shoes he wanted when I first met him. I told him I didn't have much time, but I needed him to choose. I needed him to choose what I was going to leave behind for him to continue growing in God. You could see the words we shared yesterday guiding his thoughts. ( Matthew 6:33 "..seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." ) He looked at me and with no doubt, hesitation or fear..he reached for the bible and embraced it as if he had found the holy grail himself. I was overwhelmed with joy. His willingness to let God be his guide as he seeks the kingdom of heaven. I told him " God wants you to have the bible, and I want you to have the shoes." Go with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment